Join the POP team!
POP Development Associate
The Philadelphia Orchard Project (POP) is a nonprofit based in Philadelphia that works with a diverse array of partner organizations to design, plant, educate, and assist in the maintenance of community orchards throughout the city. Since 2007, POP has partnered with 59 orchard sites and continues to add new sites, new classes, and new harvest opportunities each season.
The Development Associate will work with POP’s Executive Director and other staff to: (1) oversee and grow a portfolio of Development functions and (2) perform high-level administrative and executive support related tasks and special projects as required. This is a great opportunity to support an organization focused on building a more beautiful and bountiful Philadelphia.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Time Commitment: 20-25 hours per week on average. Schedule is flexible. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Location: POP’s office is located at The Woodlands, 4000 Woodland Avenue in West Philadelphia.
- Compensation: $15-$17/hour, based on experience
- Core Qualifications: 1-2 years experience in nonprofit fundraising, excellent written and oral communication skills, strong computer skills, experience working with diverse groups and people of all ages, residency in the city of Philadelphia. The successful applicant will be detail-oriented, organized, flexible, enthusiastic, self-motivated, self-directed, able to work independently and with a team.
- Preferred Qualifications: Familiarity with Philadelphia neighborhoods and diverse communities, Bachelor’s degree, experience using donor database and social media platforms, strong interest in food justice.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Development Associate Job Summary:
The Development Associate will report directly to the Executive Director and may also work with the Orchard Director, Education Director, and other staff and board members on specific efforts.
The Development Associate will lead the following Philadelphia Orchard Project activities with support from the Executive Director:
- Maintain an internal organizational calendar to track target dates for grant proposals
- Write grant applications and reports
- Research new grant funding opportunities
- Create annual fundraising plan and help ensure the organization is meeting fundraising goals throughout the year
- Assist in donor research and relations focused on increasing major giving
- Lead annual appeal campaign and end of fiscal year campaign
- Manage and expand corporate sponsorships
- Assist with the planning and coordination of cultivation and fundraising events targeting individual giving
- Manage the donor database including maintenance, generating reports, and donor correspondence and mailings
- Process donations and send timely acknowledgement letters
- Use database reports to make recommendations on donors to contact
- Participate in Fundraising & Events Committee meetings and activities
Communications & Marketing
- Contribute to writing and collection of content for bi-annual e-newsletter
- Coordinate with staff and interns on social media, blog postings, e-blasts to promote POP’s work
- Manage Google AdWords account
- Help oversee a Communications & Marketing intern
- Collaborate with Graphic Design Committee to create promotional materials
To be considered for this position, please email your resume and a cover letter to POP’s Development Director, Tanya Grinblat, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To be given full consideration, applications for this position are due by Friday, June 1. The starting date for the position will be in July 2018.